Prazo de inscrição: 10 Ocotober 2018, 23:59 SACT.
The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the a ADA (Lei de Acessibilidade) Escola de Verão at Universidade de Stellenbosch em Janeiro 2019.
In awarding this funding, our aim is to give successful candidates the opportunity to attend an ADA Doctoral School and spend time at a world-class research university, building their individual capacity and resilience for the journey ahead. This Summer the ADA will offer 19 courses over three weeks which includes a non-compulsory preparatory course followed by week-long courses in Research Design and Methodology (Quantitative and Qualitative), Mixed Methods Research Design as well as courses in analytical techniques and software applications (such as SPSS, R and ATLAS.ti), Preparing for a PhD, Writing and Publishing articles and training in Doctoral Supervision.
ADA are once again privileged to offer full scholarships (fees, airfare and accommodation) to delegates across South Africa and Africa, as well as a select number awards for SU candidates based in Stellenbosch. Eligible candidates can be from any discipline and will be enrolled at their home institutions by February 2019 and have been enrolled for no more than 12 months by 1 February 2019.
- If your application is dependent on the bursary, we suggest that you wait for the outcome before applying to avoid duplication.
- Stellenbosch University registered candidates can apply via this stream – we include a field to indicate your affiliation with the university.
- Preference will be given to candidates from Africa.
Successful candidates will be awarded the following as part of the programme:
- Two, week-long courses at the ADA Summer School.
- The option to attend a preparatory course (03 XCHARX 05 January), as well as a one day course (12 January).
- Self-catering accommodation in Stellenbosch.*
- Transport to visit the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town on Sunday 13 January.
- Return Economy airfare to and from Cape Town International Airport, if applicable.**
- Ground Transport to and from Cape Town International Airport.
- We request that the candidate’s home institution sponsors the candidate’s daily subsistence allowance and visa fees if needed, as a token of good faith in support of their PhD candidate.
Processo de aplicação:
- Applicants must complete o formulário on-line to submit their details and apply to take part in the programme. This includes a field with a 300 word motivation of how the Summer School would benefit your research and track as a PhD candidate.
- Applicants have to upload the following documents as part of the application process. No documents will be accepted by email. Please make use of the following naming convention: your surname.document_type.programme (for example smit.curriculumvitae.edp.doc).
- A 300 word motivação on why you would benefit from the residency in general, and specifically how the workshops selected would assist and add to the successful completion of your degree (in line on the form)
- Currículo (Resume)
- Brief description of your research (roughly 400 words)
- A written approval / referee report
- On your university letterhead & containing your supervisor’s signature by the current (home) supervisor or head of department to endorse the applicant’s application. This will indicate the home supervisor’s approval for the applicant to participate in the ADA’s Summer School and provide legitimacy of applicant’s intention.
- We will award a bonus point during the evaluation process if your supervisor also states your case and your suitability for the programme, in addition to simply endorsing your application.
- Proof of registration where possible, otherwise a separate motivation from the home supervisor is required, confirming registration by February 2019.
After a vigorous selection process, the results will be made available shortly afterwards the closing date with the intention being to allow candidates to arrange for their visas and leave to travel.
The ADA reserves the right not to make any selections for the programme if enough applications have not been received. We also reserve the right to rescind any scholarship awards made, including if the delegate is unable to commit to the programme’s full duration.
Candidates that have benefitted from African Doctoral Academy or other funding via Stellenbosch University International in the last 18 – 24 months will be placed on the B list of applications to ensure the equitable distribution of funds available.
Para maiores informações: