Prazo de inscrição: 17 Março de 2019
The Pan-African Lawyers Union (PALU) e Robert F. Kennedy Direitos Humanos estão pedindo applications from lawyers and civil society organizations based in East Africa to participate in a forthcoming litigation surgery on the protection of civic space. The litigation surgery will be held in Arusha, Tanzania between 1-2 May 2019. All applicants are required to submit a current or potential case involving the protection of civic space for discussion and workshopping.
Objetivos da cirurgia contenciosa:
- To identify high-impact cases to submit before the African human rights system (i.e. the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, and East African Court of Justice) to address key areas in the protection of civic space.
- To confidentially workshop cases among participants and with experienced litigants in the African and Inter-American Human Rights Systems, receiving feedback and cross-regional advice on litigation and advocacy strategies.
- Identificar recursos, parcerias e apoio contínuo necessário para facilitar o preenchimento de casos e acompanhar as estratégias de advocacy.
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights will cover the costs of airfare, visas, transportation, accommodations, and a reasonable per diem for expenses not otherwise covered for up to 8 selected participants.
Criteria for participant eligibility:
- The litigation surgery is open to lawyers and civil society representatives from East Africa, with a demonstrated commitment to addressing threats to civic space in their home country through regional human rights litigation.
- The participants must be involved in, or considering, litigating a case or cases that address the suppression of civic space involving a violation of the rights to freedoms of expression, assembly, and/or association. With their application, they must submit a case that they are litigating or intend to litigate before an African human rights body that could be discussed and workshopped during the litigation surgery.
- A lista não exaustiva de temas a seguir é um guia para os tipos de casos que podem ser enviados com o aplicativo:
- Supressão de protestos pacíficos — e.g. through excessive use of force against protesters; criminalization of protestors and organizers; legal frameworks that either prevent, restrict and/or chill protest;
- Restrições regulatórias onerosas para organizações da sociedade civil - por exemplo, restrições ao acesso a financiamento estrangeiro e parcerias estrangeiras; obstáculos no registro ou manutenção do registro;
- Supressão da mídia e acesso à informação — e.g. misuse of criminal defamation laws; restricted access to the internet and social media; abuse of cyber-crimes laws; other violations that produce a chilling effect on the media, citizen journalism, or access to information;
- Abuso de leis ou políticas no contexto do combate ao terrorismo - por exemplo, abuso de leis antiterroristas para criminalizar e / ou resfriar atividades legítimas de atores cívicos;
- Impunidade por ameaças, violência e detenção arbitrária contra defensores dos direitos humanos, ativistas, jornalistas e outros atores cívicos.
all civic space cases will be considered, we encourage cases that touch
on an intersectionality of issues and/or address untested or developing
areas of regional human rights jurisprudence, including:
- Cases that highlight the role of multinational corporations and the suppression of civic space;
- Cases that link the suppression of civic space to economic, social, and cultural rights, including in particular environmental rights;
- Cases that demonstrate how the suppression of civic space uniquely affects women, sexual minorities, persons with disabilities, or refugees and internally displaced persons;
- Cases that address the link between the suppression of civic space and corruption.
Other important details: The working language for the litigation surgery will be Inglês.
Por favor, certifique-se de apply by 17 March 2019 using the link provided above. If you have any questions regarding the litigation surgery or the application process, please email [Email protegido]
Para maiores informações: