Application Deadline:Friday February 8, 2019, 23:59 CET
The DW Akademie Dataship é um 12-month fellowship program that brings together 15 of the brightest early-career data journalists from non-OECD countries to foster the development of data-driven reporting. The program combines tailored trainings and networking opportunities, offering selected fellows a unique and exclusive opportunity to learn, exchange ideas and connect with their counterparts around the world to become advocates of data journalism in their own countries.
DW Akademie believes data journalism has great potential to drive transparency and fuel greater accountability and good governance. We consider this to be an important prerequisite for people to make informed decisions and pursue an open social debate. Visualizing digital sources allows for different perception and new perspectives, making the technology a great modern asset to traditional journalism. The fellowship demonstrates DW Akademie’s long-standing commitment to supporting quality journalism around the world.
Critério de eleição
Habilidades técnicas: Applicants should be familiar with the tools of data journalism. In particular, they should:
- Know how to use advanced spreadsheet functionalities such as pivot tables, filters and vertical lookups.
- Know how to use online visualization software such as Datawrapper or Infogram.
Experiência: Applicants should have published at least one story using data journalism techniques in a news media.
Country of residence:Applicants should be residents of a country that is not a member of the OECD.
English language: Applicants should have a command of English corresponding at least to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Note that, apart from the application form, participants will not be expected to write in English (unless they choose to write their project in English, of course). However, English will be the language of the trainings and conferences.
Fellows receive up to € 2,000 to support their personal data-driven project, and are invited to two training sessions (in May 2019 and January 2020) as well as two major conferences (the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Hamburg and the International Journalism Festival in Perugia, Italy).
- Up to € 2,000 to support your project work.
- Two all-expenses-paid training sessions in May 2019 and January 2020. The trainings are tailored to fit your (and the other fellows’) learning needs.
- All-expenses-paid invitations to two major conferences to present your project work. We connect you with a growing community of data journalists worldwide and ensure continuous exchange of resources, knowledge and best practices.
- Ongoing support from experts (UX designers, D3.js programmers, statisticians, graphic designers, project managers…) throughout the program.
Dataship is run by DW Akademie, Germany’s leading organization for international media development and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). The project is financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The Data Journalism Fellowship will consist of five phases:
- Application period closes: February 8, 2019, 23:59 CET.
- First meeting: May 6-10, 2019, in Belgrade.
- Second meeting: September 2019 at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Hamburg, Germany.
- Third meeting: 3-day training in January 2020 (Location TBD).
- Program ends: April 2020 at the International Journalism Fest in Perugia, Italy.
Procedimento de aplicação:
Documentos a serem submetidos
In the application form, you will be required, among other items, to submit:
- A statement of up to 1000 words outlining your proposed data project,
- A sample of your work (please see specific requirements above).
Applications should be made online by filling out this form.
If, for privacy or security reasons, you do not wish to use a Google Form, feel free to baixe o formulário, fill it out and send it to us at [Email protegido] in a GPG-encrypted e-mail (our public key is here), Signal or Whatsapp message (+491702875332).
Para maiores informações:
Visit the Official Webpage of the DW Akademie Dataship – Data Journalism Fellowship 2019