Prazo de inscrição: June 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST.
With generous support from the James W. Foley Legacy Foundation, the Rory Peck Trust, e the ACOS Alliance, the Dart Center will be offering its annual four-day crisis zones reporting course to 16 freelance journalists at no cost.
Covering crisis presents some of the biggest challenges in the journalism profession. Reporters must make quick decisions on whether to trust a translator or drive down a dangerous road. This course will teach you how to operate with caution in volatile situations, with an emphasis on conflicts.
The training is also relevant to working in natural disaster situations such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis. While most hostile environment training for journalists deals with ducking crossfire and kidnappers, this course will teach you how to avoid unnecessary peril through preparation and planning before, during and after assignments. Participants will emerge from the course with a better understanding of how to hire fixers, shun attackers and protect their digital footprints.
Expert trainers will provide instruction in the following areas:
- Risk assessment: making the right decisions before and during an assignment, setting limits, sound practices amid riots, snipers, mines, shooting, roadblocks, infiltrators and general mayhem.
- Digital Security: safeguarding sensitive computer data and communicating with others in a secure manner. Coding, encryption and cloud computing skills are taught.
- Primeiros socorros de emergência: torniquetes, triagem, fraturas e ferimentos de bala.
- Conscientização sobre o trauma: autocuidado emocional ao cobrir histórias problemáticas.
- Prevenção de estupro / abuso sexual: estabelecer limites, retardar táticas, autodefesa básica e cura.
Lead Instructor: Judith Matloff, adjunct faculty, Columbia Journalism School and former conflict correspondent with more than 30 years of experience. The course will be held October 24 – 27, 2019, at the Columbia Journalism School in New York City.
Todas as sessões do programa são realizadas em inglês. Os participantes devem ser fluentes em inglês falado.
INFORMAÇÃO DE APLICAÇÃO
The application deadline is June 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST. Click here to apply now.
A taxa do curso - regularmente $ 1175 USD - foi subscrita pelo James W. Foley Legacy Foundation, . Rory Peck Trust, e Aliança ACOS. Therefore accepted applicants will not be responsible for any tuition fees to attend the course. However, all participants will be responsible for their travel, lodging, ground transportation and meals.
Sixteen freelance journalists from around the world will be admitted.
A participação está aberta apenas a jornalistas freelancers.
Para maiores informações: