Prazo de inscrição: novembro 15th 2018
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, selfgoverning
organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes
international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with
developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
Como parte do „ /In-Region Scholarship Progamme” DAAD offers scholarships for
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of
Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the
first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained
The target group for scholarships are postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa
(excluding South Africa) with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses
in South Africa (In-Region scholarships). It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) by offering up to six In-Region Scholarships for PhD studies at AIMS for the intake 2019.
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university degree
(doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- mostre claramente motivação e forte compromisso
- ter um conhecimento profundo da língua de instrução
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at
the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African
Country, excluding South Africa
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate
considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are
especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The /In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with
strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at AIMS are available in the following fields:
- Ciências Matemáticas
Local de posse
- The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, 6-8 Melrose Road, Muizenberg
7945, South Africa; Stellenbosch University, University of Cape Town, University
of the Western Cape
Duração e Início
- The duration of the PhD programme is generally three years generally starting in January 2019
Applicaion and Selection Procedure
O processo de inscrição contém duas etapas.
- Applicants must apply for their studies at AIMS using the contacts and the method
that is prescribed by the institution. AIMS has set its own deadlines. AIMS will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list
- A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire
list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also
be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least
double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
O DAAD reserva-se o direito de seleção final.
- Segundo passo:
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register
themselves and submit an DAAD application.
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered):
https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 15.11.2018
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/
Documents to be submitted:
– DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
– Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen
form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of
publications (if applicable).
XCHARX Recommendation letter by university teachers (PhD 2)
– Letter of admission of the host university / institution / network
– Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
– Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research
stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Copy of the passport
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time
table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in
Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title
Para maiores informações: