Application Deadline: 28 February 2019, 23:59 CAT
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS NEI) is pleased to invite interested female scientists to apply for the second round of the AIMS NEI Fellowships for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS). Climate change – including global warming – poses significant threats to humanity. Documented impacts of global warming include an increased frequency and severity of heatwaves across the globe and frequent droughts, both of which exacerbate food insecurity and health problems in many parts of the world, particularly in Africa.
The AIMS NEI Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS) seeks to increase women’s participation in, and contribution to, to a more sustainable societal response to climate change.
This fellowship program was made possible by a grant from the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, www.idrc.ca, and financial support from the Government of Canada, provided through Global Affairs Canada (GAC), www.international.gc.ca. It is part of a broader effort by AIMS NEI to build the intellectual capital needed to better our understanding of the causes of climate change in Africa, and to solve the myriad challenges to Africa’s development resulting from climate change.
Established in 2017, the first convocar pedidos attracted 14 highly competitive applications and eventually, three fellowships were awarded to dynamic women scientists working in the area of climate change science and its related disciplines. By the end of 2021, 20 fellowships in total would have been awarded to outstanding women working on (i) revealing the triggers of our changing climate; (ii) mapping past, current and future climate patterns; (iii) increasing our knowledge of the impacts of these climate patterns on humanity and life on earth; (iv) providing recommendations and solutions on how best to adapt, mitigate or increase our resilience to climate change and its associated impacts, etc.
Para ser elegível, os candidatos devem ser:
- in possession before the fellowship start date of a doctorate in a quantitative discipline, including but not limited to applied mathematics, climatology, physics, computational chemistry, statistical ecology, computer science, theoretical biology, and engineering;
- currently employed, on either a permanent or a temporary basis, in a non-profit work environment, including government;
- actively engaged in research, policy, and/or practice relevant to climate change modelling, mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience among others; and
- the lead and/or senior author of at least one refereed publication on a topic relevant to climate change modelling, the causative factors of climate change, climate change mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience etc.
Procedimento de aplicação:
To apply, please complete this formulário de inscrição online and submit by the 28 February 2019, 23:59 CAT with the following documents attached:
- uma conclusão personal details form, including a detailed budget for all non-project-related activities;
- uma conclusão formulário de proposta de projeto, including a detailed budget for all project-related activities;
- a curriculum vitae; and
- an electronic copy of a representative publication in climate change modelling, its causes, climate change mitigation, adaptation and/or resilience in which the applicant is the lead and/or senior author.
Supporting documents should be saved as a pdf in the format: “name of the research program_type of_document_ AIMSentity/centre_monthyear of applying_first and last name of applicant.” For instance, “MS4CR fellowship_application form_AIMSNEI_Dec2018_SarahJake”.
Os candidatos devem solicitar que três cartas confidenciais de apoio sejam enviadas por e-mail para [Email protegido], using as subject “MS4CR fellowship application support letter-first and last name of applicant” by the application deadline. Two of these letters should come from the applicant’s immediate supervisor at her home institution and the named collaborator at her proposed host institution.
At least one letter should come from a referee who is qualified to assess the applicant’s experience in climate change research, practice, and/or policy. You should share with your referees a copy of the ‘Terms of Reference for Fellows' e a 'Instruções para os árbitros’ document. These can be downloaded on the website.
Applicants are advised to carefully read the following documents:
- Terms of Reference for Host Institutions and Collaborators
- Terms of Reference for Home Institutions and Supervisors
- Terms of Reference for Fellows
- Instruções para os árbitros
- Personal details form
- Formulário de proposta de projeto
Fellows will be selected by an international selection committee appointed by AIMS NEI.
Para maiores informações:
Visite a página oficial do programa de bolsas AIMS NEI 2019