Prazo de inscrição: novembro 9th 2018
O Africa Science Leadership Programme announces the launch of their 2019 call. The fifth ASLP workshop is planned to be held in Pretoria at the Future Africa campus in March 2019. The programme was launched in June 2015 with a first cohort of 20 fellows. At present, the ASLP has trained 84 fellows from 18 countries across Africa.
The programme is an initiative of the Universidade de Pretória e . Academia jovem global, com o apoio do Robert Bosch Stiftung, aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team management and research development, with the intention of enabling them to contribute to the development of a new paradigm for science in Africa, focused on its contribution to solving the complex issues facing both Africa and the global community.
The speed and quality of the development of science capacity in Africa and the rest of the developing world depends not only on infrastructure and the technical training of people, but is intimately linked to the quality of leadership to lead change. It is widely accepted that the future of scientific development lies in enabling interdisciplinary, interconnected and often large, international teams.
Training structures are, however, often not set up to prepare a next generation of scientists for the complexities that an interconnected, interdisciplinary approach to science entails. There is an internationally emerging paradigm that recognizes that the focus on individual leadership is often inadequate to address complex challenges, which require skills across many sectors and collaborative processes. The ASLP will therefore focus on developing collective leadership skills that will help fellows contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
O programa de liderança:
- Identifies early- to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries, but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development, which can be utilised in institutions in Africa and beyond.
Estrutura do Programa
The programme will use a highly interactive approach to training, application of skills to a leadership project, peer support, and mentorship. Fellows will attend an initial 5 day, intensive on-site programme in Pretoria, South Africa from 16-21 March 2018 (departing on the 22nd). The process will involve an approach that cycles between theory, application and reflection. Participants will be challenged to work collaboratively to design initiatives that advance a new paradigm for African science.
O treinamento cobrirá:
- Elementos principais da liderança coletiva
- Pensamento criativo e de sistemas
- Desenvolvimento de redes efetivas
- Engajamento dos stakeholders para mudança
- Maximizar a eficiência e o impacto dos esforços de colaboração
- Diálogo avançado e habilidades de comunicação
- Effective problem solving and decision making
Following the first training week, fellows will apply their skills to a project relevant to their context and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As described above, projects will aim to contribute to a new paradigm for Africa science.
- During the year, participants will continue to engage with the group and have access to professional support.
- Os custos incorridos durante o workshop (formação, viagens relevantes, refeições e alojamento) serão cobertos pelo programa.
- In March 2020, fellows will complete their projects and present them at the second in-person training, which will consist of 3 days.
Critérios de seleção e processo de inscrição
To be selected, applicants need to display a compelling vision of their future involvement in the development of research projects, programmes, human capacity, specific policies or societal structures. The selection process will consider individual qualities but also focus on ensuring a diversity of culture, subject background (Natural and Social Sciences, Humanities) and gender among the fellows. Where possible the programme will also attempt to create small ‘cores’ of leadership; multiple strong applicants from the same centre or country will thus be considered.
Os seguintes critérios são usados como um guia para a nomeação e seleção de bolsistas:
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- Um corpo docente ou um cargo de pesquisa contínua em uma instituição de pesquisa;
- Ativo em pesquisa e ensino em uma instituição africana de ensino superior ou pesquisa;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interesse em traduzir e comunicar os resultados de seu trabalho para impacto na sociedade;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond;
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interesse em colaborações entre disciplinas e setores (por exemplo, indústria, governo, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
Linha do tempo:
|09 2018 novembro||Aplicativos fechar|
|21 Março de 2019||Arrival of fellows, to begin training on the 22nd|
|29 Março de 2019||Future Africa opening|
Para maiores informações: